parents, extremely fond of Indian Classical
Dance wanted her to learn classical
dances along with her academics. So her
formal dance training began at 4 in four
forms of classical dances. Feeling an
urge to pursue Manipuri Dance, she
specialized in Manipuri initially under Sri Khelendra Mukherjee, and then under Smt.
Priti Patel and Sruti Banerjee since 1990.
In Manipur, Baisali has learnt under
Padmasree Ojha Th. Babu Singh, Ima
Thoranisabi Devi, Sri Lokendrajit Singh and
Smt. A. Lakshmi Devi. Baisali learnt
Thang-ta (Martial Art of Manipur) under N.
Rihini Chandra and P. Henry Meitei.
After Completing Master
Degree in English literature from Calcutta
University Baisali dedicated herself to practice
this art form in all possible ways.
Received “Junior Fellowship” for research
work in Manipuri Dance in 2000 and
“Scholarship to young workers in Different
Cultural Fields” in 1994, both awarded by
Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Govt. of India. “A-Grade” artiste of
Doordarshan Kendra, External Examiner of
Rabindra Bharati University, empanelled with
ICCR and EZCC.
Performance of Note:
Since 2002 Baisali has performed as a solo artiste and with her group CHALORMI , extensively in India like :-
- Nisha Gandhi Festival org. by Govt. of Kerala
- 50 Years Celebration of PRASAR BHARATI (Doordarshan Kendra)
- National Programme of Dance for Doordarshan Kendra
- Konark Dance and Music Festival
- Swarna Nritya Pratibha org. by Sangeet Natak Akademi,New Delhi
- Rang Tarang by Sahitya Kala Parishad New Delhi
- India Habitat Centre’s own programme in New Delhi
- Summer Festival of India International Centre
- Horizon Series Programme of ICCR ,Bangalore
- Vedvyas Nrutya Utsav in Rourkela ,org. Bhanja Kala Kendra
- Rojo Mahotsav org. by Paradwip Port Trust
- Kharavela National Dance Festival
- Khariar Mahotsav
- Devdasi National Dance Festival
- Nritya Bharati Festival in Hyderabad
- Kollam Fest in Kerala
- Doverlane Music Conference ,Kolkata
- Uday Shankar Nrityotsav in Kolkata org. by Govt. of West Bengal
- Sriniketan Utsav org. by Viswa Bharati University
- Several Dance Programmes org. by EZCC.
Internationally, Baisali performed in Nepal and Bhutan for ICCR , Kuwait , Doha, Days of Indian Culture in Russia, International Dance Festival in Poland, Hannover Expo in Germany, Dance Festivals in Dhaka.
Till 2001: Performed extensively in India
Days of Indian Culture in Russia
International Dance Festival in Poland
Hanover Expo in Germany
Manipuri Dance in Dhaka
Independence Day Celebration in Nepal
Khajuraho Dance Festival
Ladakh Festival by NZCC
Nahagi Jagoi in Manipur
Swarn Nritya Pratibha, Organised by
Sageet Natak Akademy.
- organised by SPICMACAY in Chennai.
LECTURE - DEMONSTRATION : Baisali has conducted several Lecture-Demonstrations in different Academic Schools of India to grow awareness about Indian Classical Dances among youth and students org. by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports ,Govt. of India and IRCEN (India International Rural Cultural Centre ).
DETAIL OF THE REPERTOIRE:-
In these compositions ,a synthesis of different elements like Classical Manipuri Dance movements, traditional instruments of Manipur, Rabindra Sangeet, Poetry of Rabindra Nath Tagore, slokas of Ritu Samhar by Kalidas are made, maintaining the aesthetic quality of Classical Manipuri Dance and making it entertaining to the present day audience.
Dance performance include both Traditional and Innovative items .
1. The Traditional items composed by the gurus of Manipur are :-
(a)Dasavatar an invocation to Lord Vishnu (b) Excerpts from Rasleela (love-play of Sri Krishna, Radha and Sakhis) (c)Astapadis of Kavi Jaydev’s Geeta Govinda ( the famous Vaishnav text) (d)Gostho Leela , stories based on life of young Krishna (like stealing butter, grazing cattles , killing of Kaliya , the serpent demon ,Vastra Haran of the Gopis of Vrindavan etc (e)Prabandh Nartan (f) Mandila Nartan (dancers play small cymbals as they dance ) (g) Maibi-Jagoi ,Leima Jagoi, Khamba Thoibi Jagoi from Lai-Haraoba(enactment of Creation) (h) Thang-ta (sword and spear dance) (i) Pung Cholom and Dhol Cholom (drum dance by male dancers).
(2)Innovative items composed by Baisali are –
(a)PARAMA PRAKRITI PARAMATMA (a homage to the Omnipotent, Almighty Lord Krishna) (b) RITU – CHITRA – Description of 6 seasons using slokas from Kavi Kalidas’s RITU SAMHAR a popular text of Indian literature (c) AVISARE CHALOYE RADHAR (the journey of Radha to meet her Lord) (d) Sarat- o –Hemante Nari (e)Basanter Gaan –Songs of Spring by Rabindranath Tagore .